STANDARD: LOWER/UPPER INTERMEDIATE, ADVANCED
If you’ve ever yearned to sing with the sound of a Big Band behind you, then here’s your chance. Working under the guidance of Anton Browne and Jenny Howe, two of the finest Big Band singers around, you’ll explore and develop vocal techniques relevant to the genre, study the art of stagecraft and presentation, discover how to make a well-known song your own, and learn about microphone technique and improvisation. We’d like you to prepare two jazz standard songs and to bring along chord charts, we can allocate a big band song from our library or you can bring your own arrangement. A recording and playback device will also prove useful. We begin at 6.30pm on the first day and finish after breakfast on the final day. Entry to the A Night of Jazz concert on Thursday 25 July is included in the course fee.
Resident: £585 Non-Resident: £460 Code: 19/503
What previous participants say (2018):
Not just a chance to perform with a Big Band but also to understand more about the genre and craft of Jazz performance through small ensembles and big band. Includes advice on vocal warm-ups, microphones and mic technique, vocal technique, improv and performance / managing a small ensemble.
BMILS building – exciting news:
- Visitors to Benslow Music are alerted to work on a new building for the Benslow Music Instrument Loan Scheme (BMILS), due to start on 23 April 2019.
- Our normal activity (courses, concerts, events, Bed & Breakfast, visits to the Loan Scheme) will continue as scheduled during the construction period.
- The building, sympathetically designed by Jon Read of Pentangle Design Group, Hitchin, is to provide specialist storage for the BMILS collection of quality instruments while not on loan, more spacious administration and reception space, a generous workshop for our in-house luthier, and a trial room.
- The new building is to be located between Fieldfares and the beehives.
- Access to Fieldfares from Benslow Music will remain as it is currently, via the main drive (or beside Waldeck) to the front door.
- Construction workers (from the family firm of D B Sharp and Sons, Letchworth) will enter from the gateway to Benslow Lane close to Fieldfares and cross the current drive direct to the building site from beside the Fieldfares garage. This vehicle movement will be carefully managed. The site will be securely fenced, allowing for egress from all doors to Fieldfares.
- Work is expected to last until late October 2019, taking place on weekdays between 8am and 4pm. There will inevitably be some noise but disruption will be kept to a minimum. We anticipate very little restriction to existing car parking arrangements (but please continue to park sensitively).
- We trust that this will not have an adverse effect on your stay. Thank you for your understanding.